Valentines Day is here. And since 1997, Valentine’s week has also been known as Marriage Week in the UK.
Here are some of the top facts about Marriage as listed by William Hartston.
4. In ancient Sparta, men who were unmarried by the time they were 30 forfeited the right to vote.
5. In England in 1576, 10-year-olds were allowed to marry.
6. Wedding rings are worn on the third finger of the left hand because the Romans believed that a nerve led directly from there to the heart.
7. The proportion of babies born outside marriage in the UK in 2012 rose to 47.5 per cent.
8. Until 1912, if a woman in the UK committed a crime in her husband’s presence, he was legally considered to have coerced her into doing it.
9. Research has shown that men who are smaller at birth are significantly less likely to get married.
10. ‘There is not one in a hundred of either sex who is not taken in when they marry (Jane Austen).